Delicious Apple Strudel made with phyllo dough. You can make this fancy dessert in less than an hour!
3 Grannysmith apples, peeled and cubed into little pieces
1 cup of sugar, divided in two
½ cup breadcrumbs
2 sticks + 3 Tbsp butter
¼ cup raisins
½ cup walnuts, chopped
¼ Grand Manier or Rum (You can substitute with orange juice)
½ Tbsp cinnamon
16 sheets phyllo dough (one box)
Juice of one lemon
- Pre heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt two sticks of butter and set it aside.
- In a skillet, melt the 3 Tbsp of butter with ½ cup of sugar and add the breadcrumbs. Cook, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn, until the mixture is golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup of sugar with the cinnamon and mix it together.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, the lemon juice, the raisins, the walnuts, the Grand Manier and ¾ of the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Mix everything together with a spoon.
- Lay a kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle some flour.
- Lay the first sheet of phyllo dough and brush the top with the melted butter, using a kitchen brush.
- Stack the other 7 layers, always brushing the top layer with butter before adding the next one. You should finish with 8 layers and the top should be coated with butter.
- Spread half the breadcrumb mixture on the left longside of the phyllo sheet.
- Spoon half of the apple mixture on top of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Using the kitchen towel, roll the dough 180 degrees. Adjust the fillings and the edges and roll again until you have a log.
- Transfer to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or coated with Non-Stick spray.
- Brush the strudel with butter.
- Sprinkle top with the remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Make three or four cuts in your strudel so the steam can escape.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden!
- Repeat steps 6 to 16 to make your second strudel.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of your strudel and enjoy it with some vanilla ice cream!